Cannoli Filling Recipe
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup crushed pistachio nuts
- 8 cannoli shells
Beat ricotta and sugar together until smooth. Fold in orange zest. Spready chocolate chips out on a plate. Spread pistachios on a separate plate. Using a pastry bag or a gallon-size plastic storage bag with the bottom tip cut off, fill cannoli shells with ricotta mixture. Dip one end in chocolate chips and the other in pistachio nuts. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes 8 cannoli.
Per cannoli (not including shell): 140 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated), 9 mg cholesterol, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein, 3% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 8% calcium, 3% iron
Option Fatty and Takes a Long Time But Looks Good:
Deep Fried Cannoli from Paula Deen
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons amaretto or orange liqueur [sub. orange zest or flavoring i think]
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted pistachios, chopped, optional, plus 3/4 cup finely chopped, for garnish
- 12 store-bought cannoli shells
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate, melted
- Confectioners’ sugar, for garnish
In a large bowl, whip the cream with the confectioners’ sugar until soft peaks form. In a large mixing bowl, stir the orange and cinnamon into the ricotta. Then stir in half the whipped cream to lighten it up. Gently fold in the remaining whipped cream. Fold the pistachios into ricotta cream mixture. Fill a pastry bag with no tip with the mixture to fill the cannoli shells. Pipe the filling into the shells just to the edges of the shell. Freeze the cannoli for 4 hours or overnight.
Preheat the oil to 350 degrees F.
Whisk flour, sugar, egg and milk together in a shallow bowl. Dip the frozen cannoli in the batter, shaking off the excess. Lower into the hot oil. Fry about 3 minutes until lightly golden, moving the cannoli around so it colors evenly. Drain on paper towels.
Dip the 2 ends of the fried cannoli into the melted chocolate, sprinkle the chocolate with chopped pistachios and garnish with confectioner’s sugar.
More cannoli recipes to make your mouth water.